The IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is most famous for it's Red List, "the world’s most comprehensive information source on the global conservation status of animal, fungi and plant species and their links to livelihoods. Far more than a list of species and their status, it is a powerful tool to inform and catalyse action for biodiversity conservation and policy change - critical to protecting the natural resources we need to survive." [source : IUCN Webpage]
Previsouly I posted about the recently updated Red List, which can be rather grim reading, but also showed some success stories including the Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus).
Well, the IUCN also have a brighter, lesser known and more cheerful list, called the Green List, which is given to fantastically maintained parks/reserve etc.. "The IUCN Green List of protected areas is a new global initiative that celebrates the success of effective protected areas, and encourages the sharing of that success so that other protected areas can also reach high standards. More effective protected areas lead to greater benefits for humans and nature." [source : IUCN Webpage]
This is a very short list however, but it is also a new list, only starting in November 2014! the criteria is tough as "the sites have been evaluated against a set of demanding criteria, including the quality of protection of natural values. They demonstrate fair and transparent sharing of the costs and benefits of conservation, effective management and long-lasting conservation outcomes. These criteria are tailored and measured according to the challenges and opportunities faced in each country."
I bring this up now, because of Doñana National Park and Natural Reserve, in Spain, is the most recent addition to the list (22 July 2015). This park is also home to the Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus), so all is looking good on the lynx front! Can't wait to go back to Doñana and try my luck! :)
The first Green Listed Protected Areas
- Korea Jirisan National Park
- Korea Odaesan National Park
- Korea Seoraksan National Park
- Australia Montague Island Nature Reserve
- Australia Arakwal National Park and Cape Byron State Conservation Area
- China Longwanqun National Forest Park
- China Sichuan Tangjiahe National Nature Reserve
- China Eastern Dongting Lake National Nature Reserve
- China Mount Huangshan Scenic Area
- China Wudalianchi Geological Park
- China Shaanxi Changqing National Nature Reserve
- Italy Gran Paradiso National Park
- Spain Doñana Natural Space - Newest addition
- Spain Espacio Natural de Sierra Nevada
- France Natural Marine Park of Iroise
- France Pyrénées National Park
- France Marine natural reserve of Cerbère-Banyuls
- France Sensitive Natural Area "Marais d’Episy"
- France (Overseas territory) Guadeloupe National Park
- Kenya Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
- Kenya Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Colombia Galeras Santuario de Flora y Fauna Galeras
- Colombia Parque Nacional Natural Gorgona
- Colombia Parque Nacional Natural Tatamá
Lets hope many others join the list!